The jackfruit is the tree of tropical origin which bears the largest fruits of the plant kingdom. They can reach a weight between 35 and 50 kg. It is cultivatable under temperate climate in accordance with certain conditions.
History of jackfruit
The scientific name Artocarpus, attested in the nomenclature of Carl von Linnaeus, is composed of the Greek Artos, “bread” and Karpos, “fruit”. The Greek name of the species heterophyllus means “varied leaf”. Indeed, the leaves of the jackfruit are polymorphic. When the tree is young and growing the leaves are not complete.
Jackfruit is a dehiscence fruit usually weighing several kilos, which develops on the trunk or on the branches. The fruit has a tough, thick skin, consisting of greenish tapered protrusions becoming yellowish at maturity. It contains a white to yellow cream sweet, firm or tender flavor depending on whether it is consumed as a fruit or vegetable. This flesh is stringy, almost crisp, juicy, fragrant and studded with brown oval seeds, toxic when they are raw. Grilled, they are edible and have a taste of chestnut. The ripening of the fruit takes 90 to 180 days.
In temperate climate, the fruit is to be cultivated from the cold in winter, heated above 10/15 °C. However, it is not advisable to cultivate it in mountain climate, as temperatures are too prone to abrupt variations. The jackfruit is a fast growing tree, which gives a first harvest 3 to 4 years after planting. Manual pollination is often needed to get a good fruiting unless your garden is populated with insects that will gladly take care of it in your place. It is a very beautiful strong and vigorous, decorative and even breathtaking tree in times of fruiting.
13 amazing advantages of jackfruit
Jackfruit is a tropical fruit and is known for its fruity taste, one size, and a sweet taste. It is rich in vitamins, minerals, fibers and energy. It is also free of saturated fats or cholesterol. It is found mainly in the tropical rainforests of the southwest and mainly cultivated in the tropical regions of India. The jackfruit is something that can even be find more and more in the wild in many parts of India. Other than India they also grow in Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Brazil, etc. There are 13 health benefits of this fruit for your convenience.
1 Gives energy and revitalizes the body instantly: just 100 g of jackfruit can provide 95 calories. It is soft and easy to digest and contains sucrose and fructose, thanks to which you can get instant energy and your body revitalizes instantly.
2. Mucosal colon guard: jackfruit is a fiber-rich fruit that helps protect the mucous membrane of the colon, as it decreases exposure time and binds to carcinogenic chemicals in the colon without difficulty.
3. Protects the lungs and keeps away oral cavity cancer: this fruit contains little amount of vitamin A, such as beta carotene flavonoids, xanthine, lutein and cryptoxanthin-beta that play together an important role in vision functioning. They contain antioxidants and vitamin A presents in the plays a vital role in maintaining the integrity of the mucous membranes and skin.
4. Protects against free radicals and increases resistance: the high level of antioxidants and vitamin C present in the jackfruit increases the resistance of the body to the control of infectious agents and free radicals.
5. B-complex rich fruits: here is the rare fruit with a content of B-complex high in it, the fruit of the taking. It consists of the group of B-complex vitamins such as pyridoxine, niacin, riboflavin, folic acid, etc.
6. Heart rate controls and blood pressure: potassium, manganese, iron, magnesium, etc. are present in quantity well in this fruit of which potassium is an important element that is present in cells and bodily fluids and it controls heart rate and blood pressure. So the tasty and juicy fruit can get you away from heart problems and blood pressure problems.
7. Keeps away from infections: As mentioned previously, it keeps the virus and bacteria to the bay and protects us from infections, keeping the body healthy. This fruit helps the function of white blood cells and thus improves the immune system.
8. Keeps free radicals away from cancer: if consumed regularly, the rich content phytonutrients fights against free radicals that cause cancer cells to grow and develop, thus keeping the cancerous away from your body.
9. Anti-aging Properties: if you want to look younger, then this is the fruit that you need to consume regularly. The anti-aging properties of Jackfruit keeps the skin young for a long time.
10. Anti-ulcer: jackfruit can get you away from ulcers as well.
11. Digestion: the fiber-rich content in the fruit helps with easy digestion by erasing the bowel movement.
12. Asthma and anemia: extracts from the roots of the control of the asthma of the Jackfruit plant, and the iron content in the fruit keeps the anemia away from the body.
13. Other: this fruit also regulates the levels of blood sugar in the body and the copper content in it maintaining a good thyroid health. The calcium present in it contributes to the coagulation of the blood. Calcium and magnesium fruit helps to maintain solid bones. This list of benefits makes the nutritional value of jackfruit interesting.
The raw fruit is available on the market throughout the year, but the fruit is mostly available at the end of the summer. Still today, these fruits are available in boxes and market around the year throughout Asia and also in India.
Varieties of jackfruit
Artocarpus heterophyllus belongs to the family of Moraceae and the genus Artocarpus, which comprises some 60 species. 3 varieties of this fruit are differentiated for their fruits only, because the trees that carry them are the same.
Culture and jackfruit care
Mulch at the foot is welcome to keep freshness and humidity in summer, it also helps to keep a slight acidity on the ground and protects the winter cold.
Always in the interest of productivity after 3 to 4 years, fertilize with a fertilizer in fruit pellets once a month or a liquid nutrition every week as soon as the first flowers appear.
Before this number of years, use a green plant fertilizer used every month from March to October.
A tutoring is not to be except in the case of an exhibition vented outside in the beautiful season.
For a beautiful flowering and a good fruiting, this tree needs water in regular inputs, especially if it spends the winter in a warm area. During the cold period, spray with water the foliage to prevent it from drying out too much, which can cause their fall.
Size of jackfruit
A pruning is required to help the tree obtaining a good size , its natural growth carries the branching on a trunk of big diameter. For this, follow regularly its antlers the first 3 years where you will be able to cut following the desired size. Then no pruning has to be practiced, the tree will have a development according to the size of the pot.
Bees, birds and many pollinators are attracted to the flowers, even if they are not really fragrant. Avoid the close use of pesticides to keep this fauna in the process of depletion, but also to optimize pollination.
Properties and uses
The smell of the fruit is musky at maturity. Its pulp is generally consumed raw and fresh when it is well ripe. Its taste is a mixture between pineapple and mango. It can also be stored in syrup, entrusted or dried. If the smell of the fruit is particular, its flavor is not so unpleasant. The jackfruit is also consumed before its complete maturity: it is peeled, cut finely and cooked like a vegetable.
The jackfruit gives a hard wood of fine yellow to fine grain tint. This wood is very used in woodworking, for making furniture or in woodworking because of its coloring, which only lasts if the wood is protected from ultraviolet rays.